Thursday, May 18, 2017

Thursday is about Food Critics

I love food. I love to eat it and I love to cook it. I know what I like and what I don't like. But it doesn't change the fact that I always appreciate and respect the cook for putting in a lot of heart and energy. Whatever happened to our society. We celebrate people who hardly brew their own coffee in the morning. They are revered and listened to as if they were Einsteins of culinary world. They can make a person big and at the same time they can destroy  a cook within a minute. What makes them think that what they like is good! And why are we falling for it?



I just turned off a program about foodies, food bloggers who go around the most expensive restaurants who gobble down the food that is produced great effort and creativity and trash it as if it was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (not that there is anything wrong with peanut butter and jelly sandwich!) I just couldn't watch it! It was appalling. The way these pseudo critics give their pompous opinion to the chef is just disrespectful and ignorant! They usually sit with their stomachs spread out across the table, hands held high like kings. It is a master and slave visual set up.They themselves have no idea how to boil an egg! What gives them the right! We all have different likes and tastes that appeal to us so whatever this no good, stuffed pepper says has no value to me. They only got into the business because they write well. Just write and leave cooking to those who know how to do it! It is an upsetting sham, I tell you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUTdegqWklU&t=1s

In my humble opinion, a critic is a person who has mastered the craft him/herself to the point that they have the right to tell others how it is done. Is it just me? I don't want to see those programs anymore. They make me really upset because I cook everyday and maybe my food is not of international culinary standard, still I put in my heart and time into every bite. I know what it is like when sweat is coming down your back when you are trying to put a good bit on the table.


Breakfast Porridge Anyone?


Lunch Somewhere in Vientiane, Laos

One more thing before I go. What is this nonsense about putting strange object into food and pretending like it is a piece of sculpture! Food is for eating. It should be fresh, it should be good and it should be well presented. But let's not get carried away with irrelevant garnish on a plate!


Duck for Dinner , Vientiane, Laos

The pictures of food in Laos speak for themselves. No non-sense and 100% flavour. This food made us really happy. And although there were no tree branches, no gold plated candy, etc., we would never think to question the skills of these cooks! Hats off to all who cook! We salute you! Happy almost Friday, friends!


No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...