Friday, May 12, 2017

Corsica, The Island that Conquered Us

Ah! Yes! Corsica! Land of the Conqueror!

 Many people would be disagreeable with this picture, but I am not trying to be political here. Please forgive! Just marking my territory! Corsica was a distant and difficult place. It was incredibly steep and challenging to cycle. All through this island I cursed and swore in words I never knew I had in my vocabulary. The last straw was when I struggled to climb a hill after a day of climbing with my gear and belongings when a fancy lady and her pretty boyfriend passed us effortlessly on their bikes laughing and joking. That was it for me. I made my husband change our plans and leave the island to go on to Sardinia. As it turned out, it wasn't any easier to climb. 


We docked in Corsica in the very early morning hours and decided to get our self-inflating mats to catch up on our sleep right at the dock while some people walked by with their dogs. We had no care if people were watching! When the day woke up and the hot sun with it, we went to town to see that awesome place that gave the world Napoleon Bonaparte. We visited his home and house of birth. So it happened that we were there at the same time as a Polish tour! So we caught a guided tour in one of the languages native to us! Also, we had a brief yet, pleasant conversation with some teenagers that were part of that tour! That really made us miss home!


At the end of a long day, we finally managed to find a spot away from people. We pitched our tent and had a nice sip of cold beer. It wasn't easy to find locum for the night though. At the back of my drawing I found a note. It said, "August 18th, 2005. Somewhere near Bonifacio, Corsica. This is a place where we definitely cannot camp because it is a nature reserve, but we definitely are camping!"





In the picture you can see other people are managing as well on a yacht. I remember it was a couple. They spent the entire evening swimming and enjoying their boat but they went to bed fairly early. We drank our cold beer and had to go to bed too. As always in a forbidden camp place, we had to get up before anybody else did to pack up our tent and get going. Thank you nature Reserve for being a gracious hosts. I promise we didn't leave a slight bit of a footprint! We were thankful for this beautiful and peaceful place to sleep.


I was very happy when we boarded a short ferry ride to Sardinia. I was full of hope for easier sleeping spots and definitely easier climbs for our legs! Life can be challenging but satisfying!

Happy Friday! See you Monday!






No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...