Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Wednesday with The Dream

I couldn't decide what to write about. After yesterday's post, so emotional and so private, it is hard for me to concentrate on anything. I chose this little painting that was part of and started Aleksander's Dream Box Ehibition. This is "The Dream" that started the entire adventure with displaying my collection of kid-like drawings and paintings. When my son was small I used to sneak a peak in the bedroom and just watch him sleep so peacefully. I would imagine what his dreams were and how he would see them. I wondered if I was in them, if they were realistic or more like Dali's paintings. This is how "The Dream" was born and Aleksander's Dream Box opened.


"The Dream" was given as a present to my wonderful co-worker from Odamaki-chugakko for 
the amazing support she has been to me in school as well as in private life. She had a son the same age. I thought she would find it easy to relate to this painting

In Japan, we lived in a house for two years, then a small apartment on the ground floor. So conveniently we had a back yard all to ourselves. We would have people over for BBQs all the time until it got really cold. But even in winter we would organise pierogi party, Polish Christmas Eve - Wigilia, Easter, or just a get togethers at our wonderful kitchen table. All three of us slept in one bedroom on futons. My son had his own little one and we had a double - sized  one right beside. This was the usual, Japanese family arrangement. Let me tell you, there is nothing better. The feeling of closeness and belonging is enormous! I wish we could do that here in Canada with our beds but I guess it would be seen an inappropriate and strange. In the bedroom, apart from the futons we had a dresser as seen in the picture. It was filled with little boy's clothes. On the wall we had a quilt which I had made with Japanese traditional fabric that went well with the tatami floor in the bedroom. Again, this is a standard arrangement of a house or an apartment. In order to protect tatami from any moisture and mould we had to roll our futons up for the day. Keeping homes intact was a tough job because of a constant humidity all year round. Everything must be aired everyday, closets opened, windows opened, and futons rolled. Japanese women deserve a medal. They do it everyday on top of many other things in their daily schedules!

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPaAz87qWbGTr-uqVm5N81NqGwRiAH1LuNTJHq-/photo/AF1QipPEGXx_RQIsiA7rbWHAcimkBFDU9hEr_Ud1SflI

My son had a special place in his heart for the sea and water creatures, as many Japanese kids do. The education system there allows kids' curiosity flourish and be satisfied by hands-on experiences. Net-catching little fish in a stream, catfish, little crabs, and insects was an everyday activity for kids. Still, only a few spent time in front of the TV or playing computer games. As much as the Japanese parents are advanced in technology, they are traditional enough to know what is really good for their children! There is a mysterious and miraculous balance in that culture! We should take notes from them!




No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...