Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Bamboo Tuesday

All this thunder and rain made me think about bamboo. I remember how we used to go to the mountains near Chichibu or Kodama or Onishi to the bamboo forest. At this time of year it is full of people digging for bamboo shoots. They seems to be the flavour of this season. I can't  say it is my favourite but many people enjoy the flavour in ramen or in other Japanese dishes. 


I remember the sounds in those forests when the tops of the bamboos would bang against each other and create that accoustic, blunt sound that some of the wind chimes do. The main reason for us to be there would usually be to get some bamboo for my husband to make us some nice lamps and lanterns. We would use them for candle holders entire summer as well. There was nothing better that a home party outside our place with some nice cuts of meat, good drinks, a BBQ and a good company. And of course the candles spread out to mark our way to the bathroom and to the other side of the building/parking lot eventually leading to Belc supermarket. Sometimes our Japanese neighbours would join us. It always made me extra happy to see them by our fire. 


Drinking is a big part of Japanese culture. It unites, relaxes and makes people friendlier. It never compromises the safety or good taste of the drinking people. That's why I don't like the law in Canada that forbids grown up from drinking outside. It sort of goes against the grain of "innocent until proven guilty." What's wrong with having a sip of wine a at picnic or a glass of beer at a local festival? NOTHING! if you ask me. I have seen it work in a society! The Japanese society is the most responsible, on time, fun-loving, friendly, non-agressive I have ever seen. Give Canada a chance! Do you agree? Tell me!

1 comment:

F£ö said...

Indeed, I also saw many drunk people in Japan but never a fight. I'm not a drinker myself so I can't say why it's different in other countries, because I saw many fights in France.
One of the problem may also be drunk driving. In japan, everybody take a taxi to come home (or a non drinking friend/parent).

Apart from that, I love the bamboo. In a dish of course, but also thanks to specific sound it makes when it grows. I had the chance to go for digging bamboo shoots, and sleep in a bamboo forest in Kumamoto (with my tent). It was pretty special.
Did you know that the same sound can be obtained from a bamboo fountain, also called ししおどし : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AupTRlYbfiQ
Finally, I made a small djembe from bamboo that I cut myself in the forest, then smoked. So like you said, many utilisations can be made of it. Great nature gift.

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...