Monday, April 10, 2017

The Joy of Food

Recently, one of my friends reminded me of the importance of food in brings happiness. Some people may argue otherwise but it is true. No matter what happens in your life, when you are happy or sad or lonely or with lots of friends, you eat to reinforce good and satisfying emotions. And they do come with food. My family was very lucky to live in Asia. It is the place to be for foodies! Weather you are in Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, China, India or other country you will always experience happiness when you try local food. That is my theory and i am sticking to it!




But let's not limit good food to Asia. Everywhere you go you find good food that suits your palate. We are very fortunately in Toronto. Every ethnic group has a good representation in restaurant business. I have eaten in a Chinese place on Spadina where they make amazing dumpling with a multitude choice of stuffing, Korean black bean paste noodles on Steeles, Ethiopian tibs on Danforth, Polish schnitzel on Queensway. And I could talk about food until I salivate myself crazy! But I'd rather just go out and eat!



We were in Laos a few years back. As usual we ended up at the market in search of good local cooking. We kept walking around the meat and fish area. The ladies were calling our son to show him different parts of animal body parts cut up. One wanted to show my son an eye in hopes that he would get scared and run away. To her surprise my son held out him hand to touch it! I bet she has never expected that from a child! Later at that same market, my son fell into a drainage trench full of animal blood and other thick, dark red mixture of liquids. The sellers laughed at my son while he, in shock, started crying. Poor thing! I was disgusted and scared so I can't imagine how he felt. Luckily, we were surrounded by good - hearted people. Some ladies quickly rushed in with cups of water to wash his foot and his shoe. I wish I had a home video for that. But I promise to come back to that if I find it! From then on, my son has always been looking where he was going on our trips.




There is something inspiring about onions. I love drawing and sketching them. Some people draw circles and lines. I sketch round, shiny, orange onions. When I drew this with my lovely Japanese pastels, I hoped that one day they will be framed and hung in my kitchen in Canada. They are still waiting in my art drawer! I have a kitchen, but still, it is not good enough for my onions just yet...

Have a wonderful Monday!

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...