Friday, March 31, 2017

Spring with Kasajizou Story


It has been raining all morning and it is dark. But I like it this way when I have a lot of work to do. Today, I am getting ready for my son's second ballroom dance competition. I hope he does well because this time it will be more challenging with all the new steps and turns. I am not going to lie that I am not nervous for my baby. However, I know he will do well. Somehow this boy doesn't get nervous or shaky. He doesn't like to practice before. He just goes on the floor and does it! My fingers are crossed for him and the one and lovely Victoria, his dance partner. Together they will dazzle the judges I am sure!

I am making salmon, cream cheese and dill sandwiches on pumpernickel, tuna-mayo salad on Italian mini-buns,  ham, cheese and coleslaw whole-wheat wrap. To fill up I packed some cherry tomatoes, grapes, steamed broccoli that Victoria likes, and my pina colada upside down cake that I baked last night. I hope it all goes well...dancing and the food I mean! 



These Ojizou (じぞうさま) statues are everywhere in Japan. Mostly in temples, but you can find them on the side of the road, in the forests and mountains as well. 

There is a beautiful, old story in Japan that people tell their children in order to teach them how to be good and giving. Kasajizou. An old man who one cold winter night noticed a sting of statues like the ones in the picture. All of them had no hats but piles of cold snow on their heads. The man stopped to pray and decided to comfort them.  Since he was a hat merchant, he had many conical hats with him that he coundn;t sell at the market. The man took pity on them and put one hat on each head. All but one got their heads covered. The man ran out of hats. So he made a quick decision to give away his own hat that covered and protected him so well from the snow. He was happy to give it away because he knew that it would bring comfort to this poor statue, even though it was just a piece of stone. 

The poor old man wasn't doing so well as his hat making business wasn't making any money. Him and his wife had very little resources and lived a simple life in order to survive. They worried a lot because they food was ending and winter didn't seem to be coming to an end anytime soon! The old man couldn't sell any hats and his wife would always argue with him that he gave them away to the statues. But! But one cold evening, when there was no more food to eat and no more wood to heat the house, they couple heard a lot of noise out side their humble house. They opened the sliding door to see... a sting of statues walking towards them! Each carried food, firewood and everything that was needed to survive!

What a beautiful story! Give even if you think there is nothing you can get in return! Kindness is always rewarded!


Spring leaves are coming out with all this rain today helping them to grow! I can hear them breaking through that delicate skin of  tree bark. The birds are going absolutely crazy! I saw some yesterday fighting over twigs for building nests! Also, there is a cardinal that lives here. He started his song already! Yup! The spring is definitely here! 
Have a great weekend my friends! I know I will! The leaves are coming out, the birds are singing, the hope is here! What else can we ask for!

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...