Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Tuesday with Portugal

Portugal was the first stop when travelling on our bikes across Europe. Hence, it has a very special spot in my heart. I cannot forget the kindness of people in Porto and Aveiro. Two families took us in as their first couch surfers and entrusted us with their homes. In Porto we made friends forever and in Aveiro we left our Portuguese mother! We slept right by the sea or in fishermen front yards, the beach showers always worked well and little stores always had some great cheese and buns for supper after a full day of pedalling. Sunsets were inspiring us go to further and every sip of port wine was like the first one! That spells something, doesn't it! I am saying thank you, Portugal! You are tatooed in my heart!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtX3n8HdNHU&t=54s



Once we turned inland towards Lourdes, Tomar and Evora it was a bit harder because of the hills, private cork plantations and lack of showers so we were forced to sleep at small hotels and pensions. I will never forget one night when we were caught by the night and had to sleep in ruins of a castle in Monsaraz. It was a small town with pre-historic past built right on top of a mountain. Once we got up that picturesque mountain we new there was no way we would find any spot to pitch our tent before complete darkness took over. Although I was very hesitant to sleep with all those ghosts, we made a quick decision to sleep in the warmth and safety of this medieval castle. I hear you have to buy tickets to enter the castle these days;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=calwlx2Z4Jw



I have to say I had no nightmares, no ghosts sightings. I slept like a baby maybe even better, and woke up to the most beautiful morning with a view one could ever wish for! I hope I get to do it just one more time before I go to the Maker! I take my hat off to my adventurous husband here who was somehow able to convince me to go with this plan! Luv ya!

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...