Thursday, March 09, 2017

Istanbul

Let me tell you, I am not done with Turkey! This country deserves your attention! Especially such a breathtaking city like Istanbul. And breathtaking is an understatement! One look at my painting and you will fall in love too!



As soon as we arrived here I was love-struck by the local kindness and sincerity. The city has some passages under the bigger streets to make it easy for pedestrians cross to the other side easier. You can imagine how hard it was for us to carry our bikes with all the panniers, up and down the stairs. My bicycle with all the luggage weighed almost 30 kg.  At one of the passages an older gentlemen carrying shopping bags in each hand offered to carry my bike for me. He didn't take no for an answer, just picked up my bike and carried it up the stairs for me. I couldn't believe the kindness!

In Istanbul, we stayed on a small island at our friend's (or rather our Portuguese mother's) friend's summer place. Again, you have to admire the trust and kindness. Everything was arranged for us all the way back in Portugal where our adventure with Coach Surfing and cycling across Europe began. This wonderful lady gave us the keys to her place without asking any questions or taking any money. All in the name of friendship!

What you can see here is Hagia Sophia adorned by the setting sun. This architectural wonder is a heaven for art lovers but at the same time can be an incredible religious experience, Muslim and Christian.  This 6th century basilica has features that can be associated with both religions. Further, not long ago people discovered that this mosque has hidden treasures under it's plaster, Christian mosaics!! Some I believe are still there to be discovered by the archaeologists. So this religious place was adjusted a few times in the history of Turkey to fit the ruling religion.


Once again, here is a video of Ankara and Istanbul with a split second of the real picture of which I copied on canvas.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6glbA7W674


The only city that I found equally amazing was Rome. No matter where you go, where you get lost, you will find nice people, beautiful architecture, and I kid you not, AMAZING food! In Sultanahmet District, the historical part of the city you walk up a very steep street where you can buy pastry and breads with meat and vegetables to suit any taste bud on the planet!!

Every day we took a ferry on The Sea of Marmara from our little island to the mainland, Kadikoy. I think our island had more cats than people residing! It was quiet and cozy and you could always count on a company of a cute furry friend to stay with you while you sipped your tea at the local tea shop. In the evening, there were some fishermen enjoying each others company, but in the morning, the island and the shore seemed deserted.

One evening after an entire day of walking I decided to go back home and rest while my husband who never gets tired wanted to stay a bit longer to take pictures of the setting sun. So we kissed 'see you in a bit' and parted. Hours passed by, it became dark, but my B. wasn't coming back. I got really concerned and decided to check the shore and the ferry schedule. I completely lost it when I saw that the ferry that had just docked was the second last one for the night. I panicked. Of course, the ferry operator came up to me immediately when he saw my distress. I don't remember now in what language I explained my problem but the gentlemen at the ferry terminal immediately called the other shore at Kadikoy Station to check if there was a foreigner boarding the last ferry. They were so incredibly warm, comforting and helpful. Soon enough the last ferry arrived. Of course B was on it. He really likes to keep it interesting for me doesn't he!

Istanbul was the last stop of our bike tour. It was a perfect ending to the adventure of our lives. It was like a honeymoon but 6 months long!!

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...