Monday, June 26, 2017

Sunday's Unanticipated Adventures

Yesterday turned out very unexpectedly, incredibly interesting! The original plan for yesterday was to join the Aboriginal Culture Week festivities at Fort York. On Saturday we were so tired that we just went for a walk around Danforth. And yesterday morning we experienced a very highly levels of lazy Sunday symptoms. So we got to Fort York at 3. There were only a few food and cultural goods tables left and it seemed like nothing more was going to happen there. Therefore, after an hour of idling through the grass and admiring the ever-changing weather, we decided to go to Harbourfront for a short walk and from there take a streetcar home. 

Colouring Pages, 2016

On our way we stumbled upon Billy Bishop Toronto Airport and decided to walk the tunnel under Lake Ontario to the airport island. It was a great adventure for us because we had never had a chance to be there. So we took a stroll around the area, the parking lot, the water front and ended up at the ferry dock. At the waiting area we befriended a nice stewardess or a flight attendant, if you will, who was from Montreal and on her way to Scotland. We had a great conversation about flying and travelling. My son listened so attentively it was actually very surprising how concentrated he was. The ferry ride was very smooth and short. Upon docking to the Toronto side we exchanged our goodbyes with the flight attendant and wished her a pleasant flight. Who knows maybe one day, when my son is a pilot they will meet again.


 After that our feet took us to the Harbourfront. From afar we noticed this majestic high mast ship that stood out from other tiny yachts there. We agreed to take a closer look. After taking a billion pictures of my son jumping we were ready to move on. But my son wanted to jump onto a raft-looking-flat boat-thingy. I refused in fear that it would just float away or such with my one and only son on it. We exchanged a few opinions and my son started to cry. He hid his face in my shirt and rubbed his tears deep into the fabric to make his point. 

We stood there for a moment when two men whom I noticed came off the majestic ship asked me if my son wanted to go on their flat boat-thingy. Then, they asked me if it was ok to take my son on it. Since they were boat people and knew what they were doing, and they said it was their floating device, I agreed. We took a few pictures and my son was back his happy self! After that the two men made us an offer which we couldn't refuse. They gave us a tour of that majestic, tall ship that caught our attention!!!! Wow! They took us around the top, and took us under. Demonstrated how they fire a cannon and roll their spotless sails. I don't know what their motivation was but most likely without even realising it, they made our day! They gave us an adventure of which we shall talk about for days to come!! They also inspired my son to study to be a captain, marine captain!



I still cannot stop my head from shaking! It is amazing how adventures come when you are the least expecting them! I want to say that I am very grateful for this day and for the wonderful two man who gave my son and us such an incredible memory! Thank you! May this simple act of kindness be rewarded to you in rum or beer or whatever marine people desire!

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...