Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Adam and Eve

I brought a painting from the storage in order to take a picture for this post. I put it at the entrance by the shoes and forgot about it. When my son came back home from school he noticed it right away. Well, it is hard not to! It is big and orange with two blue, nude statues! My son was very quick to comment. "EEEyuuuuuu! Why are they naked! Disgusting! Two bare bums!" I explained that they were Adam and Eve and since they lived in paradise, they had no shame, hence, no need for clothes. This entire idea seemed very peculiar and left my son very much unconvinced. 

Adam and Eve, Toronto. 1995

This painting used to hang in my bedroom above the bed when my husband and I were still dating. It was very liberating to love and be loved. I haven't had shame ever since to love and be loved. This painting symbolises exactly that. It celebrates liberty to leave nothing for yourself and give everything to the one you love. No need for clothes to cover. There is nothing to cover. Plain honesty and openness. And even if haters hate, mockers mock, and tempters tempt, the feelings stand strong, unshaken, undiminished! So in my version devil fails. Call me a romantic and naive, but if you believe in it, it becomes the truth!

This painting has been slightly damaged over the years of hanging on the wall, hosting my two finches flying free all over the room, and ruthless storage for years. But it hasn't lost it's charm.

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...