Monday, February 27, 2017

Ordinary-Interesting Weekend

The weekend was eventful. Not with obvious and grand events but the ones that you see with a corner of your eye. They are small, ordinary yet interesting and meaningful. I always keep them in my head for a long time because they usually inspire me to analyse my deeds and to be a better person to the people I meet in my way.

Saturday morning I take my son to the Japanese school. When he is there getting knowledge I sit at the close by Tim Horton's and work on my art, read, observe people. This Saturday as I was drawing more circles in my sketchbook, a tall Chinese man approached my table. He put a tooney, a looney and a dime next to my coffee. I looked up in surprise and amazement. He explained that someone had given him the money but he already had tokens. No further explanation. Why me? Do I look like I need money? Of course I do! We all do, but why did he choose me? Highly generous and unselfish act of kindness! He sat across from me with his coffee and his thermos still looking at me. After a while he added, "You don't drive?! Use it for TTC! Good luck!"

At noon, after I picked up Aleksander from school, we decided to have lunch at the same Tim Horton's. As we were sitting down I noticed an interesting man coming out of the washroom. Shaved, bald, tall, very clean-looking. He wore red sports pants, snow white t-shirt. And in his hands he had a black laundry basket. The basket was filled with things you normally don't bring outside. A pillow, cover sheets, clothes, a book, and a few other things. Everything was spotless and extremely clean looking. I knew this man was homeless. So did my son. He started asking questions about homelessness and about this particular man. I tried to answer the questions the best I could to encourage a good and sympathetic heart in my son. This man looked very strong, confident and proud. I wanted to offer something but I was afraid he would be offended by my donation. I wanted to give him the money I got earlier from the Chinese man, but decided not to. Instead, I remembered about a "roll up the rim to win". I had a "coupon" for free potato wedges. Still very hesitant, I decided we should give it to him. My son went to his table. I couldn't hear anything but I saw very well they had a conversation about that coupon. After a few more sentences exchanged my son came back with the coupon in his hand.



"Mama Chameleon"
Mother's job is so hard. We have to adjust to ever-changing situations. We always have to know the right answers. We have to be flexible yet strong to carry the world on our shoulders. All for our children. We are everyday chameleons. We hold our children in our arms firmly to cuddle and to protect while holding on to the branch that we live on. This painting is very important to me because it is exactly about that. And we, chameleons smile all through that even if it is hard and overwhelming.

This painting was sold in Japan after the Aleksander's Dream Box exhibition.

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...