Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Can You Spare a Square?

I walk into the Gulf Shore Campground's ladies' washroom. Sit down and make myself comfortable. I get ready to go, when suddenly I notice that there is not an inch of toilet paper. I am sure you all can associate with that sudden anxiety. But I hear a woman in the stall next to me. I decide to take action! I do not waste time on hesitation and ask for help. The lady is very nice and kindly shares a few squares with me. Automatically, I love her for her humanity!



That evening I go to the washroom to wash salty air off my face. I recognise the shoes in the area by the sink. It is that same lady who saved my life this morning! Naturally I decide to strike a conversation and thank her again. As we both complete our evening hygiene routines we have a friendly chat. I glance at her. She is a women in her fifties. Pale skin, fragile, my height. It is hard to miss a scarf on her head. It is hiding her head from the signs of chemotherapy. In my mind and heart I wish her all the best and lots good health. My wishes flow from the deepest and the warmest parts of my heart. Really, I am thinking that it is unfair and that it only happens to the kindest of us!


I say, "Thank you for this morning. You really saved me there!" She turns to me and smiles. " Ah! It was you? Do you ever watch Seinfeld? At first, I wanted to say 'no! I can't spare a square' to you. But my second thought was that you might misunderstand if you are not familiar with Seinfeld. So I didn't. I didn't want to offend." We both smile. I assure that I am familiar with Elaine's predicament. We both have a good laugh about the square to spare. She tells me how she and her daughter often reference Seinfeld. I promise her to go back to watch the episode in question. We part as friends.

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...