Wednesday, December 06, 2017

The Woman Who Fell to Earth - Julienne Koepcke

Today I learned that what is meant to happen will happen. And what is not written in the books will not. In 1972, on Christmas Eve there was a plane crush in the Peruvian jungle. There was only one survivor out of 92 passengers. Her name was Julienne Koepcke. A 17 year old daughter of two German biologists. She was travelling with her mother when their plane got hit by lightening and Julienne got thrown out of the plane while still strapped to her seat. She was later named "The woman who fell to earth". I read her account of the events and it is really blood freezing. I read that she could see how the earth was getting closer to her while her feet were dangling up in the air. When she was travelling through the air to the earth she heard silence, as if someone turned on a mute button. A thrilling story. And then, as if it wasn't enough, she woke up in the middle of the rainforest. She walked, swam and walked some more to her destiny - survival. This 17 year old girl remembered every lesson her parents taught her about survival in the jungle. She pushed on for 11 days only drinking river water before some lumberjacks found her and delivered her to safety. She was found on January 3rd, 1972.



It is absolutely an amazing story of someone who was meant to live. When I read about her today my first thought was about the possible reason, the plan for her. We all have a story written for us. So did she. I had to find out why fate failed to kill her twice. What was so important? What possibly could her task be to go against the grain and win?

Julienne Koepcke, now Dr. Diller is a biologist. She followed her parents footsteps into the world of science. She is a biologist and a librarian at Bavarian State Collection of Zoology. A woman who fell 10,000 ft. to the ground and suffered minor injuries! What a story to tell. It makes me feel very hopeful and trusting that what is meant to happen will. This brings a few wise words of Fidel Castro, also from the Seventies'. When he travelled to USA to speak at the UN, there were rumours that some people planned his assassination. He replied :" No one dies before her or his time! So I am calm." I am so taken by this story. I am going to think about mine all day and night...

Have a good and safe Thursday, my friends!

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...