Thursday, December 07, 2017

Star Struck by a Mother

Last Friday I found myself at Dundas West Subway Station. And normally if it wasn't for the buggy filled with shopping that I had with me I would have taken the stairs to the platform. Barely, but my son and I made it to the elevator before the doors closed. Inside I quickly assessed our situation and looked around the other passengers' faces. There were two other, older ladies who looked like they knew each other. There were three early teenage age kids and a mother with one daughter in a stroller and one baby strapped to her bosom. The mother wore khaki parka, wide ankle jeans torn at the very bottom. She had a bag and both pockets filled with mommy stuff to the brim. I took a moment to look at her amazing strawberry red hair.  She carried herself in an extremely calm and contained manner despite the fact that she was accompanied by 5 kids! After all it was P.A day at school and you could see a lot of parent with kids and school-age kids and their friends all over the TTC subway system that day. Naturally, I presumed she was babysitting.

A Flower for Every Mother, 2016

One of the older ladies threw a question at the mother, at the same time, breaking a moment of silence, " All five are yours?" The fire-headed woman smiled and confirmed. But all of a sudden from the corner a boy and a girl said in unison, " there are nine of us! The others are older so they send time on their own."  Whaaaaaaaat! Is it humanly possible? Nine kids? Voices in my head were screaming out of their minds (all of them)! Nine kids! All hers? And she is just calmly standing here looking so firm and ...sane? The older ladies were not unshaken either. Both women smiled, we all looked at other other and one of them said, " I bet ya there is not a dull moment in your home." At the same time the elevator doors opened and we all strolled out onto the platform. A few steps later when my son and I stood already in a train I noticed that the 9-children-woman got on and was now standing right beside me. She recognised me from the elevator and smiled. I couldn't resist. I had to say it to her. " YOU ARE MY HERO! I ADMIRE YOU!" She looked a bit embarrassed but she thanked me. I definitely felt a connection. We looked at each other. I wanted to talk to her, investigate, find out, learn about the secret to her confidence and bravery. But I didn't dare to disturb her any further.  She looked my age. Calm. Confident. Strong. Almost athletic. A Heroine. How does she do it, I thought! Where does she get the strength? This was unbelievable. I felt like I was standing beside a celebrity. Soon after the announcement said Ossington Station, the door opened and she and her group of five kids silently and smoothly flew out of the train. All in unison. There was no nagging, no crying, complaining nor questioning. I witnessed this miracle. And if I didn't see it with my own two eyes I would not believe it. I wish I could meet her again and talk to her. Can you imagine her day? How does she get them all ready for school. How does she deal with clothes? Swimming, dance, art lessons. What about homework and parent teacher meetings? Wow! I have so many questions!

Mother and Her Son, 2013

I have only one little boy. There is so much talk and nag and convincing that one is enough. But I have to admit that there is a lot of envy and admiration for this woman!  I think I will keep saying wow for another week!


No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...