Thursday, December 14, 2017

I Got Mail!

I opened my mailbox and saw a letter. I will not hide that it is a surprise these days. Usually there are many bills, receipts, promotional mail, etc. You know what i mean because we are all the same in this aspect. It is global. But here it was - A LETTER. I slowly took it out and looked at the address where it came from. I touched it and new it before i read it. At the opening there was a delicate pink sticker shaped like a cherry blossom. My old friend from Japan is an old school, artistic and crafty lady from Maebashi. She is one of the last people on Earth where a letter written by hand and addressed in your own hand writing means a lot more than writing texts a million per second. I get two letters per year from her. Every time I hold my breath in excitement. I always write to her via email. But she only replied by post. I LOVE her for it!

So I took out the letter from the mailbox and brought it home in two hands like the biggest, most precious relic. Here it is beside me as I write this. I wanted to share this act and this moment with you all. For I am sure it has been a while since you got a letter by mail. Oh gosh, the sticker that binds the opening with the body of the envelope is absolutely gorgeous. I fli the envelop. It is addressed to all three of us. First my name, then my husbands, then my son's and at last our last name. At the bottom, in a read marker, so old style, I remember doing this in Poland, it spells "AIR MAIL". The stamp is with an old japan street scene, stamped Nippon 110 yen. Here I go I am opening. I know that my friend is a very talented artist and she never disappoints with her calligraphy and the visual atmosphere of the letter. I know it is for New Year. Wait I am opening. I don't want to tear in half that lovely Sakura, Cherry Blossom.

Wow! Out comes a red card with raised in gold borders. In the middle there are Cherry blossoms. Some are pink, orange and white.At the top it says in English "Merry Christmas." I want to open it and a letter written on a yellow sheet of paper falls out. She always does it. I am so excited  cuz I know she wrote me a short letter about her days and what is happening in Japan. I wish I could hug her right this minute. My dear, dear friend! But I go back to the card without opening the letter just yet! As usually, my friend did some incredible calligraphy in Japanese using kanji and hiragana. I love her for it! The writing goes from top right to left  as the old style Japanese required. My friend used to be my to-go-to expert and a teacher in Japanese custom and tradition.  At the top left corner there is the cutest stamp of a snow flake in gold and right in the middle a symbol of a clef key. I Can't read what the card says but visually I am loving every stroke of the brush. I hope I get to thank her for this one day! This is the best! I am smiling as I am writing!


The letter is folded twice. I see two pages! Nice! I want to dive in! The letter is typed and printed. Just for me! I feel so special!I read it and some information is sad and some good and up beat. This letter certainly deserves my reply in handwriting. She writes that the tea ceremony teacher that we had pleasure to meet had passed away. It is sad how this wise and kind generation is leaving us but there is nothing we can do to stop it from happening. She also writes about her travels. I am amazed and very jealous! She went to Sakhalin recently to have some nice fresh fish. Seriously! She and her husband know the essence of good travel!

She doesn't forget to teach me something about Japanese traditions. This time she mentions Shichi-Go-San (7-5-3). She writes that she helped her granddaughter to put on a kimono. She is always so thoughtful. I go back in my thoughts to the time when one of my friends from Canada came to visit us in Chichibu. My dear friend from Maebashi came to meet her in her kimono looking stunning! Such am amazing, graceful, the most tactful and proper lady! She moves like an angel on clouds. I want to thank her so much for all this! If only I could let her know how much pleasure and joy she gives me and my family by sending these letters. I will be waiting for another around my birthday! I wish i new what I have done to deserve such kindness and thoughtfulness from you! I pt the letter the way it was and reseal with that wonderful Sakura sticker. I will cherish it. I will put in my box with other letters from her. They are masterpieces of art and perfect examples of incredible Japanese art of using paper and the ultimate aesthetic means to amaze the Western world!

Thank you my dear friend! I am sending thousands of hugs and kisses! May this coming 2018 be an amazing and the most fortunate year for you and your entire family!

* I haven't posted pictures of this letter. There is a method in my madness. The imagination will help you complete a picture in your mind. Happy Friday tomorrow my friends!

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...