Thursday, July 06, 2017

Saved a Little Life Today

Today I save a little life! I am so happy with myself that I didn't quit! It is the worst thing that you can do to see something happening and think that it is ok to walk away, to think that it is insignificant enough to ignore and go about your business.

Colouring Pages, 2016

Today after the swimming pool I dropped my son off at home and decided I needed to go to the bank. I normally take just a card, my phone and a key. This time I picked up my little back pack and closed the door behind me. I happily walked toward the end of my street and breathed a refreshing evening air of the East York. I turned onto Pape Avenue and walked south. But from the corner I noticed a very small, young squirrel running under a car parked on the side of that busy street. From time to time it would run out in between car breaks but then it would move back to the sidewalk. But there were people so this little thing was trapped. I was so afraid that finally in desperation this little baby would run out on the street and get hit by a car! I got closer to it and began to scare it off towards the side walk. At one point I looked at the two gentlemen sitting in front of the hairdresser shop. They kept watching as if this was a movie. I wondered weather they thought I was a hero or a crazy lady running after this animal. "But never mind", I thought. "I have to keep going with this." I looked up and around to the rooftops. There She was. The mother was looking carefully at it all in despair. Poor little mommy! Now I couldn't quit! No way!

I went around the parked car and with my backpack started waving the little squirrel off the road towards the houses. I had to find a way to get it climb back to it's mother. I managed to get her come to the wall but it was too weak to climb. I wanted to give her a push with my bag but she dropped onto it and turned looking at me. I got scared and squeaked. It ran away from me but stayed by the wall. Then, eureka! It finally got my point. In a break between two buildings there was a little fence with a hole cut out for a pipe. The baby squirrel slowly went into it with a help of my bag pushing it gently. Yes! I did it. Now the mother would be able to come down and get it. Such a precious little thing should not die under a car like a thrown away empty coca-cola cup!!

Colouring pages, 2016

When I was coming back from the bank, a few minutes later, the two gents sitting there pointed to the mother up on the roof. She was looking right at me. The two men said, "The mother, the mother. She is worried". I replied, "Yes, she looks very scared! We All are worried about our children, aren't we!" I hope when things come down on the street she will be able to come down and get her baby to climb back to safety. I will be thinking about this all night. I hope I did the right thing.



No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...