Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Today 20 Years Ago

Today 20 years ago my husband and I eloped. I remember the weather and the atmosphere of that day. It was a dark morning that grew into a nice day with sun and rain fighting each other for attention, the same as today. I remember the dress with spaghetti straps and simple shoes I bought at Le Chateau. We invited our witnesses without telling them what was about to happen. So it happened. Toronto City Hall. 11:00.




I lost myself in that man irreversibly. One and only, forever. Together, we passes our years of dating, and that is done. Together, we passed our years of romance, and that is done. We passed our years of fun and travel and acquiring grounding. Together, we are living and learning how to be decent 40 something year olds, adults, parents, but most of all partners. I am not saying that it is all always good or all always bad, but we are going through it together and learning how to be the best at life as we can. And always together.























When I was in an elementary school in Poland, my friend gave me a card with a picture of a boat on a river. At the bottom it said, "love is looking in the same direction." Each night when I go to bed I ask myself if today was love. I have to say that my husband of twenty years and I have a fixed gaze on the same point in place and time. We are going strong. I wish for us to have this honesty, love, and respect now and forever. And I wish for us that bringing help to each other to understand one another was easy and automatic.

Today we celebrated by spending time together. We went to museums, shared our views, ate food as any respectful foodie pair should. Leaned on each other's arms and hugged on busses.  Held hands when running away from the rain. I loved today. Today was a great day. It was a day full of peace, memories and feeling of security. We ate at a pub we visited the last time on April 17th, 2005. It was the day after our Catholic Church wedding. So we sort of brought the two ceremonies together. It was only the right way to celebrate. I had a proper English chicken pot pie and my husband of 20 years had his fish and chips. Yay to us! I raise a glass for another 20 years together in peace and harmony.

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...