Friday, April 14, 2017

Good Friday - Happy Easter


Easter is a celebration of faith, hope, and love. We are getting ready for it by cleaning, cooking, baking. But is your heart ready for it? I have a great story that illustrates all three virtues.



Thinking and speaking of Vietnam brought many great memories. I was reminded of something I feel ashamed for not mentioning it before. I always talk about having faith in people and humanity. But there is one person who showed a lot of good heart and kindness. I have met with a lot of it all through my life and my travels but this one was very special, unconditional. On January 2, 2014 it was time for my family to check out of the small sea resort in Tien Tran, Vietnam. While I was packing up our things and taking care of our son, my husband went to the office of the hotel to pay and to check out. After a while he came back all distraught and troubled. He couldn't pay because this debit machine required a pin code for his credit card. My husband had been strongly refusing to memorise it. This meant we couldn't pay!! Ouch! What were we to do?? Trouble with a big "T."
Right in front of my eyes I saw missed trains, air planes, and days at work!



There is never use in sitting and crying for me. I always act immediately. We decided to try one more time. On our way out our wonderful and friendly Dutch neighbours stopped us and made us explain our problem. All of a sudden our neighbour just got up and said "let's go and see what can be done". My husband followed him while I stayed behind. I could see them walk away from the hut and think that this man will stand up for us and everything would be ok now. I felt like a child being rescued by a grown up person. I was so greateful that someone would direct us and help us in a dire situation. It had been a long time since we needed anybody's help. We had been on our own for a long time and we had forgotten how it felt to get someone else's support.

My husband came back. I could see relief on his face so I presumed that somehow the debit machine stopped asking for a pin code as many in Vietnamese machines didn't ask for it.  My husband came closer to my ear and whispered, "The neighbour paid for us!!" Just like that! He believed in our honesty. I felt happy, hopeful, thankful and most of all honoured that he trusted us! He didn't have to! He hardly knew us? Why? What connected us? A few evening conversations, a few "good mornings" in the breakfast room! I don't ask why anymore. I just thank everyday that I was given a chance to meet such an incredible, honest, beautiful person!



People who believe in another human being give me so much hope and motivation! They look in your eyes and see you for who you are. They see honesty and the good in you because they themselves are the example of those qualities. Well my friends, there is hope! The light shines through! There are more of us! The world will live... for now! Love and see the best in people, my friends! There salvation is in that!  Happy Easter!

P.S. My son still has the coloured pencils from you! Thank you for EVERYTHING!

No comments:

I Cherish The Day

I cherish the day when beauty and goodness is seen just as that. As opposed to naive, childish and stupid. naive /nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/ Learn to ...